W. J. Murray & Son: Serving Cheshunt and Waltham Cross since 1932
W. J. Murray & Son Ltd has been established for almost 90 years, it was founded by William John Murray at Great Cambridge Road, Tottenham in 1932.
In 1918 William left the army, having suffered the horrors of the trenches in the First World War. He then worked for funeral directors in the East End and Edmonton area before founding his family business. In 1940 the business moved to more modern premises on the Great Cambridge Road at Empire Parade, Edmonton.
William’s son Leslie joined his father in the family business in 1947, having served in the Royal Air Force as a navigator since 1942. Father and son decided to extend the business in 1960. They opened an office in Waltham Cross. Unable to obtain planning permission to extend the original site they moved to our present, much larger funeral home in 1964, but sadly William died just prior to its opening.
Having shown an interest from an early age, Leslie’s son John joined him after leaving school in 1967. As the community and the company continued to grow, Leslie’s daughter Jane joined the company in 1989. With the rapid development of Cheshunt, Jane became the manager of our latest office at the Old Pond in 1992. Having completed his education, John’s son David followed in the footsteps of his father by joining the increasingly successful company in 1998.
Having begun his working life washing cars and making tea, David is now at the helm of the company following the loss of his grandfather Leslie in 2014 and later his father John in 2018. Being the fourth generation to continue the distinguished traditions of W. J. Murray and Son, he has been able to draw on the experience gained over the last 90 years to provide a caring, knowledgeable and professional service to the local community.
William J. Murray
Speak to one of our caring team today
Waltham Cross: 01992 627 817
Cheshunt: 01992 624 220